EDUC 2110

Just another Edublogs.org site

Applying Piaget to the Classroom

September 27, 2011 by clstaley · No Comments · Uncategorized

Catherine Staley 

I think that the stages of Piaget have a significant influence on classroom teaching. They help us to better understand where the child is at intellectually, which helps us to create developmentally appropriate lessons. Also, by understanding the stages we, as teachers, will be more sensitive to the learning process. If a child is struggling with a lesson or is exhibiting behavior that we deem inappropriate for the classroom, it may be a result of the stage in which they’re involved. 

I hope to teach elementary levels, specifically upper elementary grades. My students would be in the concrete operational stage. I can benefit, in the classroom, from understanding this stage because I would know how my students learn best. I would know that they are traveling away from egocentrism, irrevsibility, and perceptual centration and are developing a greater grasp on logical thinking, inclusive group work, and seriation. Being aware of this information helps me, as their teacher, to create and incorporate lessons that are within these specfic criteria. I can make a lesson, based on their stage, and create a safe environment of learning where they can be the most productive.

We can understand more of the mental aspect of what a child is experiencing.  We can learn that sometimes partner projects may not be beneficial because the child is at the peak of egocentrism, for example. By understanding Piaget’s theory we can accomodate our lessons for such problems as egocentrisim, social interactions, and intellectual abilities. Many aspects of Piaget’s theory can be useful in a classroom environment and if we learn about his stages of development, we can better relate to our students.

No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.